Sunday 16 December 2012

The Art of Baking - Holiday Cookies!

I don't know what it is about the holidays and food, but it is a thing that is so special that it deserves a blog of its own. There is something about this time of year and the massive amount of baking and cooking, and inevitably eating that fills our lives. It is a wondrous thing, but also a powerful thing, the way the simple act of baking Christmas cookies brings families together and creates memories.

For me the greatest part of this tradition is trying something new for the first time. As we all know there are those recipes that are classics that everyone looks forward to, but I love to learn, be creative and be adventurous so there is nothing more fun than trying a new recipe. Will it be good, or will it bomb? I can say I have had my share of both (though more on the good side, so I'm told). And even when a recipe doesn't work out, like a cookie is too crispy, or a macarons is too flat, you still learn something to help you improve for next time.

The next best part about this traditions is sharing with others. I love baking and my friends love eating, so it's a great fit. Just today I baked with my good friend, and a few days ago baked with my boyfriend. I shared some cookies with my friends and received rave reviews. There is one thing I've learned in PR (yes I know I'm crazy bring PR into baking). That is: evaluation is key. How will you know what to do better next time? How will you know what the response will be? That is why the sharing and feedback of Christmas baking is so important. It's how I find out my cookies rock!

Here are some of the recipes I made and I guarantee that I will be making more.

Christmas Cookies; Christmas baking 


1. Eggnog Snickerdoodles 
(The Hamilton Spectator)

Christmas Cookies; Christmas baking




2. Peppermint Biscotti 
(Taste of Home's
Holiday & Celebration Cookbook)
Christmas Cookies; Christmas baking




3. Cherry Pecan Icebox Cookies 
(Taste of Home's
Holiday & Celebration Cookbook)
Christmas Cookies; Christmas baking




4. Gingerbread Cutout Cookies 
(Anna Olson's Back to Baking)
Christmas Cookies; Christmas baking




5. Chocolate Shortbread Meltaways 
(Anna Olson's Back to Baking)






P.S. Enjoy your Holidays!

Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Message!